Pass the Reproductive Health Act!
What if Roe v Wade is overturned? It's not so hard to imagine in today's climate. We want all New Yorkers with lady parts to continue with the same choices and access to reproductive healthcare, including abortion rights, that we enjoy under today's laws.
We have a great bill that has already passed the NY State Assembly, but is stuck in committee in the NY Senate (bill# S 2796). We need Gov. Cuomo to help bring it to a vote in JUNE! before the end of the current legislative session. Cuomo cannot seriously claim he supports women's rights and freedom while simultaneously leaving our abortion laws stuck in the 1970s.
Update: Cuomo does not seriously support reproductive justice. The last legislative session ended, but we're not stopping.
Read about the legislation. Call you NY senator and tell them you want their support for this bill!
(1) Call your State Senator - smiling and dialing and either thank them for co-sponsoring the bill, or ask them why they don't believe in reproductive (and economic) justice.
(2) Send your own message to Gov. Cuomo. We'll write it on a coat hanger, the gruesome and tragic symbol of the pre-Roe era. They will be delivered to Cuomo's NYC office on June 1st.
(3) Sign an online petition sponsored by Planned Parenthood NY, the National Institute for Reproductive Health, and organized by the Women's Health and Reproductive Rights working group of GetOrganizedBK. They will be printing postcards and delivering them at a media-friendly event in Albany.
On Thursday, June 1st, we have two events:
(1) We're holding a rally at Cuomo's NYC office from noon-1 (633 3rd Ave bet. 40th and 41st - map). We need YOU! to show that NY'ers stand together in favor of choice, against criminalizing difficult decisions, and in favor of compassion. Access to abortion is not just for the wealthy who will always be able to find a way, regardless of the laws on the books. It is time to bring our laws into the 21st century!
(2) We're heading to State Senator Addabbo's district (NY 15) in Queens to raise awareness among constituents of this Democratic holdout on women's rights for choice and economic freedom. RSVP through our Google form here or to the Facebook event here, and we'll keep you in the loop on all the details!